Oct 11, 2021 12:59 AM

K-State women battle No. 23 Baylor to scoreless draw

Posted Oct 11, 2021 12:59 AM

MANHATTAN – With the assistance of a school record performance from goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer, Kansas State soccer registered its second draw of the weekend against a ranked opponent as the Wildcats held 23rd-ranked Baylor to a 0-0 draw on Sunday afternoon at Buser Family Park.

Sunday’s match was K-State’s the third straight overtime match. This is the first time K-State has played three or more consecutive overtime matches in a season.

“Resilient effort,” said K-State head coach Mike Dibbini about his team’s third straight overtime match. “We survived a thunderstorm in the first half; they were itching to get one back after the loss to KU. The ability to keep grinding and to make some adjustments at half-time allowed us to get back in the game.”

K-State (6-6-2, 1-2-2 Big 12) saw a record performance from its sophomore goalkeeper from Blue Springs, Missouri. Werremeyer finished the afternoon with a school record 13 saves and faced a total of 21 shots. Among her 13 saves, Werremeyer made eight stops in the first half, which established a new school record for a first half.

“I think Sunday games are just a testament of how bad the girls want it,” said Werremeyer about her team’s performance. “The grit they showed today was incredible. We played really well against a really tough opponent.”  

In the 82nd minute in regulation, Werremeyer came through in a clutch situation. Baylor (7-3-4, 3-1-1 Big 12) was awarded a penalty kick following a K-State foul in the box. Baylor’s Ally Henderson-Ashkinos stepped to the spot to take the attempt. Werremeyer was up to the challenge and made a diving stop to her lower right to keep the match scoreless.

“You can’t think about what might or might not happen,” said Werremeyer about her penalty save. “You just trust what you know about the other team and do what you have to do.”

The penalty kick save was the second penalty save in program history and the first K-State stop at Buser Family Park. The last K-State penalty save came at the hands of Rachel Harris, who stopped an Oklahoma penalty kick in Norman on October 3, 2019.

Before the end of regulation in the 85th minute, K-State put together a threatening attack. Brookelynn Entz dribbled to the Baylor end line before crossing a pass in front of the Bears’ goal mouth. Maddie Weichel flew in from the left wing to redirect the ball but was brought down to the ground as the ball sat inches from the Baylor goal line. Weichel attempted to edge the ball across the line but was unable to get a toe on the ball and Baylor goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt scooped up the orb before the Wildcats could tally a goal.

Baylor held a 21-8 advantage in total shots and a 13-2 lead in shots on goal.

With Sunday’s performance, K-State has not allowed a second half goal in Big 12 action and have allowed just two all season. The last time K-State surrendered a second half goal came on Sept. 9 at Purdue.

K-State will embark on a three-match road trip, beginning with a two-match swing through the state of Oklahoma. The Wildcats will face Oklahoma State on Thursday at 7 p.m., in Stillwater. The match will air on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.