Jan 11, 2023

Free income tax assistance program announces document drop-off details

Posted Jan 11, 2023 8:00 PM
<b>The Salina Area United Way offices at&nbsp;113 N. Seventh Street. </b>Salina Post file photo
The Salina Area United Way offices at 113 N. Seventh Street. Salina Post file photo

Salina Area United Way

Salina’s free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program has announced location and program updates.

Sponsored by Salina Area United Way, the VITA program is returning for its eighth year.

The VITA location is the Salina Area United Way office, 113 N. Seventh Street, where clients can pick up forms in the organization’s lobby to get the process started. Only two individuals or one family will be allowed in the volunteer-staffed lobby. Clients may complete the intake form in their vehicle at the parking site or at home. Detailed instructions on required identification documents are printed on the forms, which must be returned to the United Way lobby no later than March 30.

Once each client’s identity is confirmed, volunteers will make photocopies and safely store them with the required tax return documents in a secure space, complete the individual’s tax return and phone him or her with further instructions. Clients then will return to the VITA office, review and sign their returns, and retrieve all personal documents. VITA volunteers will electronically file each return with the Internal Revenue Service.

VITA services are for moderate and low-income individuals and families (generally $56,000 annual income and below). VITA's IRS-certified volunteers can complete basic federal and Kansas tax returns, including figuring Earned Income and Homestead tax credits.

The Salina VITA program (exclusively drop off) begins Feb. 6, and ends March 30. Drop-off hours are Monday and Tuesday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Additional VITA volunteers are needed. Individuals interested in helping may contact the Salina Area United Way for this rewarding experience in assisting others.

VITA volunteers cannot help taxpayers who have rental property, farm income, royalties, sale of business property, moving expenses, employee business expenses, military pay, claim depreciation, or have a loss on Schedule C (self-employment).