Jul 10, 2024

Prison for KC man who took elderly mom to Capitol on Jan. 6

Posted Jul 10, 2024 4:55 PM
Kyke Kumer-  image from the Nov. release of Jan 6 videos from House Speaker Mike Johnson 
Kyke Kumer- image from the Nov. release of Jan 6 videos from House Speaker Mike Johnson 

WASHINGTON—Three men were sentenced on July 9, 2024, after they previously pleaded guilty to felony charges related to their actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol, according to a statement from the United State's Attorney.

Their actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

Kyle Kumer, 43, of Kansas City was sentenced to 10 months in prison, 24 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution.  

Alan Michael St. Onge, 36, of Brevard, North Carolina, was sentenced to 18 months in prison, 36 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution.

William “Jessie” Stover, 46, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, was sentenced to six months in prison, 36 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution. 

U.S. District Judge Carl J. Nichols sentenced the three men.

According to court documents, on Jan. 6, 2021, beginning at 2:42 p.m., numerous members of a mob illegally assembled on the Capitol grounds attacked members of the U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) and Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) who were lawfully engaged in the performance of their official duties defending an entrance to the U.S. Capitol on the Lower West Terrace known as the Tunnel.

The Tunnel was the site of some of the most violent attacks against police on January 6th.  Over the course of more than two hours, the mob struck police with thrown items, sprayed police with chemical irritants, pushed against the police, and stole items from the police defending the Tunnel. St. Onge, Kumer, and Stover were members of the mob that relentlessly pushed against police officers in the Tunnel in an attempt to breach a police line defending then entrance to the Capitol.

Court documents say that St. Onge approached the Capitol from the east before moving to the West Front. At approximately 2:12 p.m., as officers in the East Plaza were resisting the efforts of the mob to overcome the police line, St. Onge pushed against the police barricade and the police who were trying to resist the rioters’ efforts. After the police line fell on the East Front, St. Onge made his way to the West Front of the Capitol and up the Inaugural stage before arriving at the Lower West Terrace Tunnel at about 2:55 p.m.

At 3:09 p.m., St. Onge made his way further into the Tunnel and joined in with the crowd’s concerted push against the police line. Specifically, surveillance video footage captured images of St. Onge pushing, with great effort, against other rioters in an attempt to collectively breach the police line. At approximately 3:18 p.m., the police inside the Tunnel gained momentum and successfully expelled the rioters, including St. Onge, from the area.

St. Onge was arrested on June 16, 2023, in Brevard, North Carolina. 

Kyle Kumer, accompanied by his elderly mother, made his way up to the Lower West Terrace and onto the Inaugural Stage at about the same time. As the crowd began to push in unison against the police line, at 3:08 p.m., Kumer turned his body so that his back was pushing up against the rioters between him and the police and began to push against them. 

As he pushed, Kumer called out, “Let’s go! C’mon! Let’s go!” to the rioters around them to encourage them to join the push against the police.  At 3:11 p.m., rioters began another group push in the Tunnel against the police, and Kumer joined in again. This group push effort caused an MPD officer to be crushed between the crowd and the door. At 3:15 p.m., numerous rioters left the Tunnel, leaving ample open space for Kumer and his mother to also leave, but they remained. At 3:16 p.m., rioters, including Kumer, made another group push effort against the police line. By 3:18 p.m., the police inside the Tunnel succeeded in pushing all of the rioters back to the entrance. Kumer and his mother were two of the last rioters to be cleared from inside the Tunnel. 

Kumer was arrested on June 21, 2023, in Kansas City, Missouri. 

William Stover arrived at the Tunnel entrance at about 2:53 p.m. and joined others in the melee to push against the police line. Stover, along with the other rioters, was eventually expelled from the Tunnel entrance by police. Stover later returned with others to push against police, this time grabbing onto the side of the Tunnel entrance to leverage his weight and increase his force. Stover then reached over the heads of the other rioters and struck the helmet of a police officer.

Moments later, Stover received a U.S. Capitol Police riot shield, which he then handed to another rioter who climbed up behind him. That rioter took the shield from Stover and used it to attack police. Stover remained at the entrance to the Tunnel as the rioters fought police for more than an hour and was eventually pushed away after being sprayed with chemical irritants.  

Stover was arrested on July 10, 2023, in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. 

This case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices for the Western District of North Carolina, the Western District of Missouri, and the Western District of Kentucky.

This case was investigated by the FBI’s Charlotte, Louisville, Kansas City, and Washington Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

In the 42 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,470 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 530 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.