An electrical short in a porch light is suspected as the cause of a fire on South Burma Road early Sunday morning.
Deputies were called to a reported house fire at 4533 S. Burma Road at 6:18 a.m. Sunday, Saline County Sheriff Roger Soldan said Monday. Firefighters from Rural Fire District No. 6 and Rural Fire District No. 2 also responded, he said.
The property is owned by Eldon Tillberg, but the structure was not occupied, Soldan added.
It appears that a short in a porch light may have sparked the fire, Soldan said.
This is not the first time the house has burned, he said.
According to a March 17, 2014, Salina Post story, firefighters from Rural Fire District No. 6 were sent to 4533 S. Burman Road at approximately 5:30 p.m. on March 14, 2014, where a grass fire damaged an unoccupied farmhouse and destroyed two pickups, a wagon, and a car. The fire was apparently started by a squirrel that had been electrocuted on a power line and fell to the ground, catching the grass on fire.
Soldan said Monday that what was left of the house after the squirrel incident was destroyed during the fire Sunday morning.