At some point later in the day, Salina will have a new mayor, but first, the Salina City Commission has a variety of business to take care of Monday.
Commissioners are scheduled to meet in a study session at 2 p.m. Monday in room 107B of the City-County Building, 300 W. Ash. According to the agenda, the topics of the study session include the following.
- Lower Smoky Hill Water Supply Access District first quarter meeting
- Saline County Emergency Management radio system
A time for public comment concerning the study session is scheduled for 3:45 p.m.
The regular commission meeting is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. Monday in room 107 of the City-County Building. A time for public comment is scheduled near the beginning of the meeting.
Commissioners will be asked to consider proclaiming January 21, 2019, as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration Day in the City of Salina. Ramona Malone, Martin Luther King Ad Hoc Committee member, is scheduled to read the proclamation.
Commissioners also are scheduled to consider appointments to the Housing Authority Board, Human Relations Commission, Salina Community Economic Development Organization, and Solid Waste Management Committee. Appointments being considered include the following.
- Housing Authority Board — appoint Shayla Betts to fill the unexpired term of Vonzetta Rhodeman until August 31, 2019.
- Human Relations Commission — appoint Chanel Thomas to fill the unexpired term of Brandon Cheeks until August 31, 2020, and appoint Sheila Kjellberg until August 31, 2021.
- Salina Community Economic Development Organization, Inc. — appoint Brian Richardson until January 31, 2022.
- Solid Waste Management Committee — appoint Tom Bell and Michael Ramage until August 31, 2021.
Additionally, the commission is scheduled to consider appointments of Planning Commission members to the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Heritage Commission. Appointments being considered include the following.
- Board of Zoning Appeals — appoint Owen Freiburger until August 31, 2019.
- Heritage Commission — appoint Daniel Baffa until August 31, 2019.
Other items on the city commission agenda include the following.
- Consider approval of Resolution No. 19-7654 authorizing the mayor to execute a Vault Closure Agreement allowing for closure of an underground sidewalk vault in the public right-of-way located at 145 S. Santa Fe Avenue, Lot 131 with Grassroots Efforts, LLC.
- Hear the second reading of Ordinance No. 19-10990 amending Salina Code Section 42-503 pertaining to electronic changeable copy signs and amending Section 42-516 pertaining to signs in the A-1 district.
- Consider awarding the contract for replacement of the Salina Community Theatre HVAC units.
- Hear the first reading of Ordinance No. 19-10991 amending Chapter 8, Article I, Division 3 of the Salina Code by amending Sections 8-1-3-712.1 and 8-1-3-723.1 of the 2012 UPC by adding exceptions for allowing air testing of PVC drain and vent piping.
- Consideration of a single use plastic bag regulation.
- Hear the first reading of Ordinance No. 19-10992 amending the conditions of approval in Ordinance No. 88-9280 which vacated a portion of the frontage road located on the south side of East Cloud Street east of Ohio Street.
- Consider a request to authorize city staff to prepare an engineering feasibility report and resolution of advisability for Phase II of the Stone Lake Addition.
A request for executive session (legal) also is on the city commission agenda.
Following the meeting being reopened, Mayor Karl Ryan is scheduled to make comments as he concludes his mayoral term.
An organizational meeting is then scheduled to be called to order with the city clerk presiding. At that time, nominations will be accepted for mayor and acting mayor (vice-mayor). Once the vote is taken, the city clerk will turn the gavel over to the new mayor, who is anticipated to be Dr. Trent Davis, who currently serves as vice-mayor.
The new mayor is then scheduled to present Ryan with a plaque of appreciation and gavel in recognition of his term as mayor. The new mayor is then scheduled to make comments before adjourning the meeting.
To view the entire city commission meeting packet, click here.