On July 19, 2013, at approximately 11:53 AM, the Salina Fire Department was dispatched to a fire on a stove at 1929 S. Dover Drive. When the first responding unit arrived on scene they reported that there was smoke visible inside the structure and also from the attic vents. All occupants were located outside of the house.
Engine 2 arrived and advanced an 1 ¾” line to the front door and made entry. They found moderate smoke inside the front door and a small fire in the kitchen. The fire was quickly knocked down and the stove was moved outside. Crews worked to remove sheetrock behind the stove where the fire had burned through into the wall.
The fire did not advance into the attic and was contained in the room of origin. There was smoke damage throughout the home. The house was ventilated using a positive pressure fan. There were some arcing wires found in the wall area behind the stove. The electric meter was pulled and the gas service to the home was shut off.
The fire was under control in just under 10 minutes. There were no injuries related to this incident. Structural damage was estimated to be approximately $5,000 and $1,500 estimated damage to contents.
The cause of the fire was investigated and was determined to have started by a burner left in the on position on the stove. The residence had not had functioning utilities for some time. The occupant had been making repairs to the home and had the electrical service restored today. At some point, a burner was inadvertently turned on while the electricity was off. Once the electricity was restored, a burner cover and other items left on the stove ignited starting the fire. No one was home at the time of the fire but the occupant did return to find the fire in the kitchen when he arrived.