A spokeswoman for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment said Tuesday the patient is from Phillips County, located on the Nebraska border in north-central Kansas. The spokeswoman, Miranda Steel, says officials believe the illness was caused by food eaten in Nebraska.
Iowa and Nebraska health officials say that a prepackaged salad mix is the source of an outbreak of the stomach bug in those two states. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says not all of the illnesses nationwide can be linked to it.
Cyclospora is a rare parasite that causes a lengthy gastrointestinal illness with diarrhea and other flu-like symptoms.